I would like some help from anyone who might have direct or indirect knowledge of farming programs started under Roosevelts New Deal. The New Deal has so many web sites and links that unless I have a very good starting point, I might never find what I'm looking for.
So what do I want?
In 1982 or 1983, as I worked in a national bank located in Southern Indiana, a customer talked to me about the Great Depression. During the Depression this man worked in some very small government job reviewing farm credit. Farmers who needed credit to buy things like seed would apply to the board. The board reviewed the 'need' rather than the ability to repay. Only when there seemed to be no hope of repayment did the board turn away a farmer.
I want to learn about this 'board' or agency in detail. I have no clue as to what might have been the name, if it was a federally funded loan or grant, or a local program.
I just remember how rough the economy was in 1982-1983. A man told me his Depression story about providing 'loans' for farmers to buy seeds. And, his only regret was refusing a seed loan to a woman with small kids. His excuse was that without a man, she wouldn't be able to plant, raise, and harvest a crop.
I would really like to know more about this program if it ever existed. Any help?
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment