Sunday, March 8, 2009

Time to march in the streets

From a blog on the Times.

Okay Times - I'll help you get started.

Schools finally let the ax fall last Thursday and Friday, (after the Gwinnett County Teacher job fair, by the way). Employees whose contracts are not being renewed are being encouraged to resign or else they will be fired (as opposed to simply not having their contracts renewed). They have until Monday to make this decision. These employees are being told that they might be rehired in the fall, but any teacher NOT resigning will never be rehired in Hall County.

I am told, but don't know for certain that this will prevent these employees from being able to get unemployment.

On Friday, Hall County teachers received a memo describing how the Central Office wants to provide emotional support to its "extended family."

Among the ideas they are "thinking of" suggesting:

#3 "Turn off the news!" Knowing what's going on is bad for your health.

#12 "Get historical perspective" Things were way worse in the Great Depression and during the Mongol Invasions - so suck it up.

#9 "Pursuing healthy and appropriate escapist activities. Consider the many classic ‘screwball’ comedy films of the 1930’s and similar diversions."

I swear, I did NOT make that up.

Maybe the Central Office is being aboveboard and dealing with these educators in an ethical way. If they are, I can forgive this memo as a sincere, if extremely lame, attempt at being helpful.

But, if our public servants are being being unethical, the public has a right to know. If they are getting their chuckles by suggesting that fired employees ought watch "screwball comedies" then they have no business being in the business of educating children.

Dude

No comments: