Thursday, July 16, 2009

The other bad news

Unemployment in Georgia is now over 10% and expected to continue rising. I expected that. I see unemployment as something that changes in response to the economy. I mean that it takes a while for employers to let people go. Before letting people go, some monthly report, or weekly report, or even a quarterly report has to show hard evidence of a turn down.

Yes, some managers might act when the work load appears to be falling. But, how do they know that isn't just a normal fluctuation? So firing happens after things get bad. And, rehiring won't happen until after reports show good things are happening and a continuing trend shows the good things aren't a fluctuation.

Meanwhile, another 1.5 million people are facing foreclosure on their homes.

Again, we must change the foreclosure process in Georgia to allow homeowners a legal process. As it is, lenders can foreclosure and auction the property without no court records or impartial review by the state.

It ain't right to take a man's house without due process. Let's make that an issue in 2010.

Links to stories.

Employment
Foreclosures

No comments: