Friday, June 19, 2009

Bobby Slaton goes Back in Time with the Gainesville Times

Let's pick on another idiot in the Gainesville Times, Bobby Slaton. Bobby just hates Obama, claiming our president has never balanced a checkbook. There's a funny man for you. In this day and age has anyone balanced a checkbook? My checkbook is self-balancing software. I don't think Obama carries a paper check register either. Just say Quicken.

What else does Bobby invent in his vent?

"Since I'm on a soapbox already, our president is in Europe hopscotching over to visit our friends and foes apologizing for the United States. I guess he's forgot about what WW I and WW II was about. Weren't we helping out our allies? So, we now are apologizing for that! There goes our reputation as 'World Leader.'"

Huh? Do we have a reputation left as a world leader since Cheney and Bush? Just say No!

Maybe Bobby can tell us what the world wars were all about but I truly doubt it.

Mostly we didn't enter either war quickly, did we? We declared war on April 6, 1917 and the war ended on November 11, 1918. Although we had a million soldiers stationed in France by May of 1918, It wasn't until the summer of 1918 that we truly had a large force fighting in the war. We were NEVER formally a member of the Allies, only a self-styled "Associated Power."

Our army gets little mention in major battles until September 1918. So whatever Bobby might think, we weren't saving our "allies" as much as we might like to think that. Yes, we fought. Over 260,000 U.S. soldiers attacked in mass in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, also called the Battle of the Argonne Forest on September 26, 1918. Not to belittle our troops, that's less than 45 days from the end.

So what did drag us into the war?

[unfinished and unedited]

No comments: