Good morning Mr. Watson,
I hope you are well.
Commission Chair Mecum suggested bringing my concerns about tax cheats to you. I've known for sometime that people can put their land 'into covenant' and reduce their tax burden. I'm sure most have good intentions.
Yet, the rumor persists. The Conservation Use Covenant is a license to steal.
Here is some information on a specific property. I wish I could withhold the name but I don't know how to do that.
This is a online link to the property tax card (?).
Left blank for now
If the card is accurate, there are two structures on 10.68 acres. There's a section for Land Conservate Use Information. Type is CUV. Description is Agland 93 and Timberland 93. Total land 10.68.
I'm assuming this means all the land has been declared a bond fide farm by the owner who intends to keep it as a farm during the ten year period of a Conservation Use Covenant.
Here is a link to the Georgia Secretary of State (SOS) office. Using the search tools, it's clear. blank for now operates a real estate investment company from that address.
Blank for now Investments, Inc.
I'm not certain if this search result remains an active link. If not, it's very easy to search the SOS website.
The property is listed for sale at this link.
Blank for now
It is indeed 'perfection in the foothills.'
Property Details
THIS COULD BE YOUR DREAM HOME! THIS INDESCRIBABLY BEAUTIFUL PROPERTY CONSISTS OF OVER 10 ACRES IN A MIX OF FOREST & PASTURE + A LARGE POND. THERE ARE TWO HOUSES ON THE LAND--THE MAIN HOUSE IS 4 BEDROOM/4 BATH RANCH WITH FULL BASEMENT; THERE'S ALSO A DETACHED GUEST HOUSE/OFFICE/WORKSHOP OVER A FULL BASEMENT. THE PROPERTY AND IMPROVEMENTS ARE METICULOUSLY MAINTAINED THROUGHOUT, WITH BEAUTIFUL LUSH LANDSCAPING ON THE GROUNDS AND SPOTLESSLY CLEAN MAIN HOUSE & GUEST HOUSE.
If the listing is correct, there are two houses and some other improvements including a basketball court, what appears to be stone terraces for outdoor seating, and the 'amazing detacted screened room.'
I find it hard to reconcile these three sources of contradicting information. My imperfect understanding of the covenant precludes my understanding.
1. Covenant can not include a residence.
2. Covenant land can not be used for other generation of income such as the headquarters of a investment corporation.
3. Any changes in the use of the property must be reported ...
4. Land use must be bona vide agriculture.
So I've looked at aerial photos and see no signs of forest management in the old stand of trees. It's just an old stand of trees and not a timbering operation.
No reasonable person would ever walk onto this property and declare, what a lovely, income producing farm.
Except a Hall County assessor who might declare, as I have heard, 'Who's to know they are not farming it?'
Chair Mecum suggested I call you to discuss possible technicalities in the covenant. I'm not available to talk or meet until after November 2nd.
I am copying Mecum and Kathy Cooper who represents me on the Commission. I could reply via email but I assume Mecum and Cooper, both good public servants, do not need me emailing them all hours of the day and night.
My cell phone is 678- if you would like to leave a message. My work does not normally allow personal calls. You may text message if you wish. Email to me might be best.
But, I am wondering how you interpret all this information.
Sincerely,
Michael W. Parker
Friday, October 23, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment