Monday, August 6, 2007

The Usual Suspects

Near the end of the movie, Casablanca, a murder occurs and the usual suspects are rounded up. The murderer was no less than Humphrey Bogart and the only witness was Claude Rains, aka Captain Renault. Captain Renault orders the round up while letting the murderer go.

I wanted to write a real article today about the 'usual suspects' and couldn't decide who should be in the group. Now I don't know if the 'who' is as important as the 'whats.'

The who's are pretty easy to identify. Liberals. Democrats. Godless Communists. Socialists. ACLU. Bleeding Heart types. Clintons. Gores. Kennedys. Roosevelt. "The Media" aka the Mainstream Media.

The 'what' need some clarification. Taxes. Tax and Spend. Big Government. Unbalanced Budgets. The Nanny Society. Taxes. Taxes. Taxes.

So I'm going to waste my idea about the usual suspects and talk about taxes.

GOP Speaker of the Georgia House, Glenn Richardson, says only the federal income tax is hated more than property taxes. Speaker Richardson always paints with a broad brush and then can't understand how he got painted into a corner.

How does my favorite Defender of Truth, Justice, and the American Way want to solve this very emotional problem?

He wants to rename the property tax.

People will like paying taxes a lot better, in the Speakers not so humble opinion, if they are paying a 'sales tax' instead of a 'property tax.'

I would ask a few questions of the Speaker but I long ago learned not to fish in cesspools.

A tax by any other name is still a tax. And, to abuse Shakespeare a bit more, would still smell like a tax.

No comments: