Polls do have purpose, merits, and benefits. Sometimes it's hard to see why.
Gallop has a new poll on "Most Admired."
For 6 years in a row, Americans have identified President Barack Obama as their most admired male. Hillary Clinton has been the most admired woman for 12 years in a row.
Ronald Reagan hasn't gotten an honorable mention since 2003. Our newest Pope looks to be tied for second with former President, George W. Bush. I'd rate the Pope a lot higher than that.
The question was completely open ended. Of all the 6 billion people living today on this planet, who do you admire most? Who would be second? I'd say our President being mentioned by 16% respondents who were given a pool of 6 billion possibilities is something to think about.
Last year, he got 30%. Seems that messing up a web page really hurt.
Is that what we should be comparing with this poll? Here's another version from Gallop.
This shows a better trend.
George W. Bush was the most admired in 7 of his 8 years in office. He's the only President since Nixon who couldn't carry the title for each year in office. Carter only carried 3 of his 4 years in office but he got beat out in the 4th year by Pope John Paul II. I think the Pope should be ahead of everyone. So I'm ignoring Carter's 4th year loss.
Other than Douglas MacAuthur and Pope John Paul, only US Presidents were named as Most Admired. Hillary Clinton has been the 'Most Admired Woman' 18 times in 21 years. Mother Teresa beat her out twice.
What I got out of this poll is that Barack Obama knocked a sitting President off the top of the list. That Bush was less admired by the general public than a Democratic Candidate in 2008.
Democrats, don't write yourselves off. You're more admired than you think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment