Thursday, November 6, 2014

Governor Nathan Deal forces prayer on private citizens

I should have more courage. Maybe I have too much common sense.

Why in Hell's finest tradition are Georgia government organizations forcing me to pray?

No one has a right to tell me, "You will pray. You will pray now. You will pray in this manner."

No one has that power. Well, except for Nathan Deal's government in the form of schools, football games, public meetings, and courthouses.

Let's blame it on the Pilgrims or at least the little band later named the Pilgrims. Of 109 passengers on the Mayflower, only 50 could be called religious. Four were children more or less kidnapped from their parents as punishment for adultery. How loving a church to take in illegitimate children, hide them from their natural parents, transport them 5,000 across an ocean, and force the children to pray. To a specific pastor. To a specific dogma.

When I see a version of the 10 Commandments on public land, that is Nathan Deal telling me, "Read these religious laws and Obey."

When I'm at a Hall County Board of Commissioners' Meeting and it is announced that someone will lead us in prayer, it means you will pray in the name of Nathan Deal's government. Now. In this manner. In front of the cameras.

The next time Nathan Deal says, You will pray, I'll think of four children stolen from their natural parents and forced into religious dogma in a strange new world.

That is, until I have enough courage to refuse Nathan Deal.

No comments: