Friday, December 11, 2015

Racism in Retail

I can't verify Drury's story. But, I will tell a similar one from work this week.

If you don't know already, I have a part time retail delivery job. When I'm not delivering, I help out in the store.

I'm helping an elderly Black man at the cash registrar when a 'kid in a Rebel flag shirt' makes a stupid move. Dumb kid. Might have been 16 or might have been 26. Always wears this Rebel flag t-shirt with no sleeves.

So Flag kid should stand in line BEHIND my customer. He doesn't. He comes up and leans on my counter right at the elbow of my first customer. I didn't say anything but I tried really hard to make eye contact with my customer as if the kid wasn't there, ignoring the kid, and to show all my focus is on the right person at the right time.

Of course, my elderly man really wants away from the kid. Turns slightly away from the kid as the transaction is finished and leaves quickly.

So I say to the kid, "Do you know that you made that man feel uncomfortable?"

And the dumb ass reply was .... Fill in the blank using small words of less than 4 letters.

No comments: