Sunday, July 8, 2007

Hot Topic and the Gainesville Times

Lorraine Watkins is defending herself in the Gainesville Times.

George Kaulbach, in his June 21 letter, directed to me personally a request that I provide documentation of obstacles to study and disclosure of facts about global warming placed by the Bush administration and organizations representing corporate interests. A number of examples with details and specific sourcing is available at www.gamountains.net/climatescience.

I reject Mr. Kaulbach's accusations that my interpretations of primary data are influenced by former Vice President Al Gore or other politicians.

In fact, as a trained and experienced scientist, I regret the promotion of politicians such as Gore or Michael Moore as voices representing factual science. Distortion by manipulation of emotions obscures fact, no matter the political leaning or profit motive. That said, one must agree it seems the most competent scientists don't speak or write very well or, regretfully as I do, we also sometimes get lost in our own political biases.

I believe and reason, "scientific" curiosity about the world outside oneself are as natural to humans as are internally derived spiritual and emotional longings. It is however more difficult for the immature or untrained mind to grasp facts beyond personal experience, especially voiced in unfamiliar terms.

There is universal agreement that the U.S. educational system is doing a poor job of training in sciences and the corollary of processing factual information. The consequences of that failure are in my view grave.

Data for past 30 years has been indicating we humans are in danger of losing much of what has been gained in quality and quantity of life around the planet. It is foolish to distort, belittle or deny them.

W. Lorraine Watkins

The GOP denies science, reason, and truth.

The truth of global warming is very, very simple.

We pumped so much oil, mined so much coal, and burned both. The 'pollution' from that burning has over whelmed nature. Nature will adjust. Those adjustments may mean the end of the human race.

Sort of the way our body uses a fever to kill off an infestation or infection.

Only, Mother Nature now sees the human race as the infestation.

Knowing the human race pollutes, the GOP still wants proof that pollution is harmful.

I'm willing to help any individual Republican get first hand proof. They can suck on my tailpipe while I rev my engine.

No comments: