Thursday, July 26, 2007

Perdue auditions for President

Related story in the AJC

My favorite lame duck Governor, Sonny Perdue, basking in the bucks, has been rumored as a Vice Presidential candidate on the GOP ticket.

I can only say I hope so! But, I'm willing to take the bad with the good.

The bad? It will hurt Georgia's reputation and continue the stereotype of all Southerners are inbreed Hillbillies.

The good? Perdue spells defeat for any Presidential dream, unless it's Perdue dreaming of being the next Imperial President.

Here's an example of Perdue's imperialist personality.

He had his day, during the Legislative session, to influence the budget. He was ignored. His agenda caused a huge conflict with the Georgia House. The GOP butchered the budget process but did get it passed.

Enter the Governor, Goobernor, or the Goobernator, your choice, who has little if any respect for the process of law. His personal tax break legislation being one example of that.

Our Goobernor has ordered department heads and others to ignore the legal budget.

That's right. The Goobernator didn't just call the Georgia House a bunch of 'girlie men,' he KICKED red clay in the their faces.

For instance, the budget approved by lawmakers called for the state to spend about $1.6 million on an elementary school foreign language program that operated in 29 schools. Perdue opposed funding the program, so he told the Department of Education to use the money instead to send each elementary school in the state $1,200 for foreign language materials. That led a few schools to kill programs because they couldn't count on state support.

The General Assembly also earmarked $150,000 to help with the incorporation efforts of Chattahoochee Hills and the city of South Fulton. The governor told the agency handling the money, the University System, to use it elsewhere. The Department of Technical and Adult Education was given an extra $7.1 million by lawmakers to run its programs. Perdue ordered the agency to use the money for minor repairs and renovations.


Sometimes, life is stranger than fiction.

WARNING! Lame satire approaching.

"Pay no attention to the Men under the Gold Dome. I am the Great! The Powerful! Wizard of Odd."

4 comments:

Harvey F. Davis III said...

State Representative Roger Bruce says that the article is incorrect regarding holding up funding for the business planning in support of the South Fulton incorporations.

He and Virgil Fludd met with The Governor's Chief of staff and this money was released to Georgia State University weeks ago to do the business planning work for South Fulton and Chattahoochee Hills.

The money is not however to reimburse Dr. Eger for the feasibility study that South Fulton Concerned Citizens commissioned.

Anonymous said...

Harvey,

Then I'm sure the AJC will gladly print a retraction for you and Representative Bruce.

As soon as provide hard documentation to back up your claims.

Mad Dog

Harvey F. Davis III said...

Mad Dog - You should know you do not often see retractions in the newspaper. If you really have a dog in this fight you are welcome want to look however be my guest.

Here is the email reply from the reporter who wrote the article.


-----Original Message-----
From: James Salzer [mailto:jsalzer@ajc.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:03 PM
To: ~
Subject: RE: Agencies caught in crossfire on budget


Thanks for the note. The article said that in May, Perdue ordered the money be used for something other than the South Fulton/Chattahoochee Hills project, which was correct. I explained this to Rep. Bruce. However, I have since learned that the governor has redirected some of the projects back to their original purpose, and I will write about that when I get the full list. Thanks again for the information

Anonymous said...

Harvey,

I don't have a clue what you mean by a dog in this fight...

I see that Perdue flipped flopped based on the email. How does that negate the original story?

?

"The truth isn't always visible to the gladiators."

Mad Dog

p.s. Harvey, are you a six foot tall invisible wabbit?